D - doubts self,difficulty making decisions
E - empty feeling
P - passismistic,persistent sadness,psychomotor retardation
R - report vague pains
E - energy gone
S - suicidal thought and impulses
S - sleep disturbance
I - irritibality,inability to concetrate
O - opressive guilty
N - "nothing can help" (hopelessness)
Reality check on Depression
What people with depression have to say
- "when i'm depressed,i really don't think very much.I feel sad,lonely and detached"
- "the color,flavor and spark of life are extinguished"
- everywhere is another reason for me to feel sadness and regret.I'm so sensitive.Every little things make me feel sad.I do well on feeling bad and what i should have done
- "i feel like i'm in the deep dark hole and can't even try to geet out"
- "everything worth living for goes out of focus"
- "i've been to tired to chew"
- "people can be overstimulating especially when they are cheerful"
- "people want me to do things that i should really want to do.I just can't get the motivation for it,and it makes me feel guilty"
- "my arms and legs might as well be trees,they are so heavy"
- "my soulf left and was replaced the lead"
- "i am failure in every sense of the word"
- "if i don't feel like living,why would anyone else want me to?"
Geriatric Depression Scale (Short Form)
- are you basically satisfied with your life? yes/no
- have you dropped many of your activities and interests? yes/no
- do you feel that your life empty? yes/no
- do you often get bored? yes/no
- are you in good spirit in most of time? yes/no
- are you afraid that something bad is going happen to you? yes/no
- do you feel happy most of the time? yes/no
- do you prefer to stay at home rather than going out and doing new things? yes/no
- do you often feel helpless? yes/no
- do you think you have more problems with memory than most? yes/no
- do you think it is wonderful to be alive? yes/no
- do you feel pretty worthless the way you are now? yes/no
- do you feel full of energy? yes/no
- do you feel taht your situation is hopeless? yes/no
- do you feel that most people are better off than you are? yes/no
Scoring : YES respon is depressed except numbers 1,5,7,11,13,in which NO respon is depressed.A score of % or more indicates DEPRESSION
Note : Sheikh,J.I & Yesavage,J.A (1986),Geriatric Depression Scale